Self raising flour
Bicarbonate of soda
- Heat the oven to 180 °C (fan assisted) / gas mark 5 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases.
- Tip the bicarbonate of soda and flour into a large bowl. Hold back one tablespoon of the sugar, then mix the rest with the flour and the 50 grams of Quaker Oats.
- Make a hole in the centre of the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas until nearly smooth.
- Stir the oil, buttermilk and egg whites in to the mashed banana until evenly mixed.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the hole and stir quickly and sparingly with a wooden spoon. The mix will look lumpy and may have the odd speck of flour still visible, but don't over-mix.
- Tip in the blueberries and give it just one more stir.
- Divide the mix between the muffin cases - they will be quite full - then sprinkle the tops with the final tablespoon of the Quaker Oats and the rest of the sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the tray before lifting out on to a rack to cool completely.