Packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp
Grated Orange Peel
Egg whites, lightly beaten
- Semi skimmed milk 245ml
Apricot fruit spread, plus additional for glaze
Oats, for topping
- Heat oven to 200°C.
- Place paper muffin liners in 12 regular muffin cups; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, wheat germ, baking powder, orange peel, cinnamon and salt; mix well.
- Combine egg whites, milk and oil; mix well.
- Add to dry ingredients all at once; mix just until blended. (Batter will be thin.)
- Fill each prepared muffin cup 1/3 full with batter.
- Carefully spoon 1 teaspoon of apricot fruit spread in the center of each muffin cup.
- Spoon remaining batter over fruit spread, dividing evenly.
- Sprinkle each filled muffin cup with oats.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven to wire rack.
- Lightly brush additional fruit spread onto the warm muffin tops to glaze.
- Let stand for 10 minutes. Remove from muffin cups. Serve warm.
To freeze, wrap cooled muffins securely in foil, or place in freezer bag. Seal, label and freeze up to 6 months.
Cook's Tip: *If using old fashioned oats, add 2 tablespoons additional flour.